Favourite films about writing
Posted by Amos M. Carpenter
I recently watched the 1989 film Her Alibi, which I hadn’t seen for a number of years. I really enjoyed it, especially how Tom Selleck’s character constantly turns seemingly harmless events in his life into clichéd exaggerations on paper that are often typical of some of the, shall we say, cheaper mystery novels.
This got me thinking about some of my favourite films about writing or writers, and here’s the list of my Top 5:
- Dead Poets Society – arguably, this one isn’t about writing (poetry) so much as it is about finding inspiration in poetry, but it’s too brilliant for me to leave out.
- Finding Forrester – wonderful film about a friendship between a young talented basketball player and the old reclusive writer who helps the kid hone his writing talents.
- Limitless – exciting film about an author with writer’s block whose life changes drastically when someone gives him a pill that severely enhances his mind.
- Moulin Rouge! – won two of eight Oscars it was nominated for; a great musical about a writer falling in love with a courtesan in 1900 Bohemian Paris.
- Her Alibi – very funny rom-com about a writer who bites off more than he can chew when he “rescues” an alleged murderess from Romania by pretending to be her alibi.
Actually, they’re pretty much the only five I could come up with. I’m sure there are waaay more that I’ve forgotten or never even seen – feel free to let me know in the comments what your favourites are!